Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Golf in State College

Frankly, State College is terrible if you want cheap, casual golf.  Back in my hometown, there are several nine hole golf courses where a round is not much more than 10 or 15 dollars, and a yearly membership is only a few hundred.  That is completely reasonable for the golfer who is not affluent and doesn't really fit into the country club environment.  On all of those nine holers, you could play a fun round in less than two hours, bring the family along because the going is easy, and it was all very nice.

That situation doesn't really exist here in central Pensylvania.  The only golf courses are either 18 hole full length courses, or a nine hole par 3 course.  Par 3 courses are fun sometimes, but they're hardly able to satisfy the avid golfer.  Yes, Penn State has two very nice golf course, but a membership there costs more than a thousand dollars, which is just too much.  The only exception is if you're a student, who get memberships at a much lower rate, but I've graduated, so that option isn't available.  A regular round there costs 30 dollars or more, which is okay every once in a while but for the golfer who wants to play regularly, it just isn't economically feasible.  Penn State used to have the Nittany Course, a 6 hole course where the holes were full length.  I played there a few times way back when, and it was very nice.  It was inexpensive, it didn't take very long, but it let you take out the driver and swing away.

What am I saying here?  State College would be much improved if it had a short golf course that was cheap to play at.  I really think students would use it, and I think that it would be great for families as well.  For me, the lack of affordable golf is the biggest downside to living in State College, and I wish it would be rectified.

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Cool Science News

My Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment