Saturday, April 26, 2014

Lido Contest Ideas

I've written about the Lido Competition before, but now, I'd like to share the ideas that I've come up with so far.  I have two basic ideas, and variations on those ideas.  The first is a variation on the Biarritz, a classic Macdonald/Raynor template hole.  The key to a Biarritz is the deep swale that runs through the middle of the green, perpendicular to the line of play.  The fun of the hole is watching a ball run in and out of the swale, and the possibility of having to putt across the gap.  However, I've never seen the swale run parallel to the line of play, and that's what I'm experimenting with.
This resembles how the traditional Biarritz looks, with the green being roughly rectangular and there being big bunkers on either side of the green.  The hole is about 200 yards, slightly shorter than others, but seeing as the odds of having to putt through the swale is much greater, the hole should be shorter to make it a little easier.
This one is bit different looking.  This one is only about 190 yards, but the tee shot is going to be an interesting one, favoring a running approach that goes through the swale.  That was the idea, anyway.  I'm not sure about this one, I like it, but it might be a little too difficult.

The second general idea I have is for a shorter hole that plays to a very large, very hilly green with several distinct hole locations that function almost as mini-greens.  Most short par 3's feature a do-or-die approach, surrounding the green with hazards.  This is a bit different.  Both of these only have a couple of small bunkers, which puts the not-so-good golfer a bit more at ease, but if a better golfer misses his approach, the prospect of two putting will be difficult at best.
I also chose to employ multiple tees, to give the widest array of potential shots.  Any tee could be used with any hole location, the lines just represent some suggestions.  There are only two bunkers, and though I didn't draw a fairway, there would be plenty of it around the green.  I don't care much for rough, which is funny considering how poor I am at chipping from fairway.
This is the same basic idea, but with one more bunker, a slightly smaller green with one fewer hole location, and I made sure to give the golfer a way to putt around the bunkers if one should happen to be in between the ball and the hole.

The entries need to be in the mail by May 15th, if you like golf, you should think about entering.  It's fun.

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Cool Science News

My Twitter

1 comment:

  1. If you're going to put the Biarritz swale parallel to the line of play, I think the green needs to be wider than it is long -- more like the second one, but wider in the front.

    ReplyDelete