Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Waynesboro Municipal Tour Part 1

Waynesboro Municipal Golf Course.  It's a short, 9 hole course that isn't maintained particularly well and has a reputation for being kind of a dump.  It's also where I learned the sport, and it's been my home course for many years.  So, I have a bit of a soft spot for it.  This won't be the most impressive photo tour in the world, but hopefully I can give the old place a proper review.
The first hole from the tee

Hole 1: Par 4, 280 yards

The round starts off with what is actually a mid length par 4 for this golf course.  The first 220 yards or so play over basically level ground, but the last 60 are sharply uphill.  As a result, I have never hit this green with my drive.  I haven't even really been close, despite the fact that a 280 yard drive is normally not a problem for me.  The abrupt climb at the end kills drives.  There are no hazards whatsoever except for a line of trees on the right, but the hole does slightly favor a shot from the left side of the fairway, as the green is tilted that way.

View from the fairway
The second shot is usually some sort of wedge up the hill to a two-tiered green.  The hole is much more difficult when the flag is in the back.  It is virtually impossible to keep a ball on top if you miss long.  If the flag is on the lower tier, the slope of the green is severe enough that you can throw the ball past the hole and it will roll back, giving you more room to work with.  This is actually a fairly challenging starting hole, at least for a course like this.  Breaking par at this course is not a big deal for me, but it is not uncommon for me to start off with a bogey.

The two-tiered green
My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Science Universe

My Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment