Friday, May 23, 2014

Waynesboro Municipal Tour Part 6

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5

Hole 6: 310 yards

The hole from the top of the hill.
When you step up to the 6th tee, there isn't a whole lot to see.  All the height gained over the past 5 holes is lost in the first 200 yards of the hole.  Obviously, you can't see the green, so I recommend aiming at the left-most pole of the power-line in the distance.  This is if the tee is on the right side.  If the tee is on the left teebox, just pull out a three-iron or a wood and lay up.  That tree about 50 yards in front of the tee is right in between you and the green, and it just loves to swallow golf balls.  Providing the tee is on the right, this is a fun drive.  Take a nice big swing and watch the ball sail out of sight.  It will get plenty of hang time.  Word of warning, there is a line of trees on the right where this hole shares a border with the first hole which just loves to make golf balls disappear.  I don't know how many I've lost because I hit my drive into what seems like a black hole for golf balls.  There is a ton of room to the left, go over there if you have to miss.

This is the second longest par 4 on the course, but since it plays so far downhill, it is easily reachable by a good drive.  There have been times when even a driver was too much on this hole, and I've had to use a 3 wood.  The fairway slopes off to the right, and drives will roll off in that direction.  I like to hit a little fade that catches the slope and runs out, my younger brother(who is better than me) prefers to hit a draw that fights the slope.  I think I can get more distance out of mine, but I also have to contend with the greenside bunker more.

This green looks simple, but it is deceptively difficult, and I do mean difficult.  There's a little dip in front of the green, and it is incredibly difficult to get a pitch shot to stay on the green, especially if you're coming from the left.  This is another green that runs away from the player, and like the last hole, you really cannot fly it onto the green with your second if you didn't reach the green with your tee shot.  You have to play use the ground, and that dip makes precision distance control imperative.  If you can get your tee shot in the right place, this is an easy birdie hole, but if not, or if you're not good around the green, you can just as easily get a bogey.

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Science Universe

My Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment