Wednesday, June 11, 2014

British Open Returning to Royal Portrush

It hasn't been officially announced yet, but it looks like the British Open will be leaving the island of Great Britain for only the second time in its long history.  The only time the Open has been hosted
anywhere else was all the way back in 1951, where Royal Portrush in Northern Ireland was the host.  Now, after nearly 70 years, it's coming back.  Two holes, the 17th and 18th, are going to be replaced with new holes for the upcoming Open, and the old holes will house the "tented village".

I think it's fantastic that the Open is going to a different course, especially one in northern Ireland.  I really like the British Open, but I've always been kind of indifferent on some of the courses.  Carnoustie and Lytham come to mind right away.  Portrush has a fantastic reputation, it looks interesting, and it proved it can handle crowds a few years ago at the Irish Open.  Now, I can only hope they bring it to Royal County Down, which is even better and more spectacular than Portrush is.

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Science Universe

My Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment