Sunday, June 1, 2014

Waynesboro Municipal Tour Part 9

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8

Hole 9: 325 yards

The last hole is the longest par 4 on the golf course, and no, 325 yards isn't very long.  This is not a
very long golf course.  This is the only hole where water comes into play at all, with a stream running down the left side of the hole.  It's there, and I've certainly hit drives into it, but it's really not that big of an issue.  You really have to miss a drive, and miss it big, in order to get to the stream, as this is a very wide fairway, and you should be aiming more towards the right.  Why aim out that way instead of taking dead aim at the green?  That big hill on the right side of the hole makes this hole very reachable when the place has dried out, it gives you massive amounts of roll.  I've seen golf balls land 70 yards away from the green end up on the green.  This is a very fun drive, the ball just loves to roll and roll off that hill.  There is a line of trees on the right if you slice, and I've been on the 8th hole, which is parallel to the 9th, many times, more times than I've been in the water.

The green itself is not difficult, but you don't want to miss it anywhere but short.  Long is basically
dead, left is about as dead, and there's a mound right which complicates chips from over there.  I've left many pitch shots just short of this green because I find it difficult to get aggressive considering there is a very steep dropoff behind the green.  While the green is pretty straightforward, the shot into it is not, because unless you're right next to the stream or just short of the green there are no level stances on this hole, and if you're really unlucky the ball can be several inches above your feet, making your pitch shot that much more difficult.

Well, that's Waynesboro Municipal Golf Course.  It's golf in a very basic form, but it's my home course, and I do have a soft spot for it.  A typical round for me is around 36, with my best score being 32 for nine holes.  I think it's 67 or 68 for 18 holes, but that I don't remember as much.  I don't play 18 very often here, and after so many playthroughs, the rounds tend to blur together.   Next up for golf courses of south central Pennsylvania is a Carroll Valley, which is part of Liberty Mountain Resort.  It's a real golf course this time.

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Science Universe

My Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment