Monday, June 30, 2014

Carroll Valley Tour Part 11


Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10

Hole 11: 213 yards

Look, it's another long and difficult par 3.  Considering this is a resort course, there is really not a lot of variety or let-up on these par 3's.  None of them are particularly easy or inviting targets.  Although out of the six par 3's on the course, I would say this one is the most difficult.  Number 8 is a little longer, but at least on the surface, it's a little more inviting target.  It almost feels like a little par 4, since it has a full fairway, a feature most par 3's don't have.  Maybe that's why it feels like such a weird hole.  (Note: Not my original idea.)

But we've already talked about number 8.  This is number 11, and the view from the tee does not inspire a lot of confidence.  The green is pretty shallow, and there are bunkers front left and right of the green.  The hole location in the picture is probably the easiest one you'll ever see.  They like to put it behind the left bunker, which puts the hole almost out of reach, considering you need a mid-iron to get to the hole.  Actually, a week ago when I played here, I managed to hit a nice little draw around the bunker to about seven feet.  It was a fantastic shot, which would have been even better if I had meant to hit it like that.  No, I was aiming at the right side and got lucky.

One thing that I want to bring up though that isn't specifically about this hole, but features occasionally throughout the course.  There are some bunkers around that have native areas of waist-high grass right next to them.  The bunker on the right is one of them.  Fairly recently, my younger brother hit a shot at the bunker, but it just went over into this native area.  We couldn't find the golf ball.  Ten yards from the green, and the ball was gone.  I don't know whose idea that was, or why they do it, but please, cut the grass around those bunkers.  Golfers will look for golf balls in there, and that will slow rounds down.  There's nothing more frustrating than losing a golf ball when your shot wasn't really that bad.  Water I can live with because if you go in, it's gone.  I know native areas are good for the environment, and on every other occasion, I like native areas.  I like the look, and I like that it saves water.  But make them unobtrusive.  That's my rant for the day.

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Science Universe

My Twitter





1 comment:

  1. Two words: FORWARD TEES. Don't the let the course designer tell you what to do. If want to play a short par 3, play a short par 3!

    ReplyDelete