Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Carroll Valley Tour Part 1

Carroll Valley is located in...Carroll Valley, Pennsylvania.  How about that.  It's part of the Liberty Mountain Resort, which more known for its skiing, but there is golf over the summer.  I can't comment on the quality of the resort, since I've never been there.  I only live 25 minutes away, it would be kind of silly to stay in a fancy resort when home is so close.  Right now they have a special where families can play unlimited golf in the evening for 25 dollars, which is very nice, and it's why I've played the course more often then most of the other 18 hole courses in the area.  There is construction going on when I publish this, which is scheduled to go through 2014.  So it might seem a bit weird driving up.

I'm using an actual camera for this tour rather than the crappy thing that's on my cell phone, so hopefully the picture quality will be a little better.  Now, what I'd really like to do is get out there a few times without golf clubs and take some pictures that aren't along my path to get some more interesting pictures, but we'll have to make do with these.


Hole 1: 505 yards

The course starts off with a shortish par 5 that doglegs quite a bit off to the right.  You don't want to miss the fairway right at all, there is out-of-bounds quite close, and trees will shut you out if you're not quite O.B.  I like to aim down the left side to give myself some leeway.  You can miss it on that side and not have too much to worry about.  Also, there's a pond to the right, but I think it's mostly off the course.  Best advice, don't ever go over there.  It's never stopped me, but I am wildly inaccurate with the driver, and this course doesn't currently have a driving range.  I think they are adding one in the near future.

If you've managed to hit a decent drive but can't get there in two, feel free to swing away wildly to get as far as you can.  There is literally nothing for you to hit into until you get to the green.  The O.B. is still there on the right, but it's much further out, and there is absolutely nothing else on the right side.  It's still a fairly easy shot if you can get to the green in two, but at least there is one bunker to the left of the green, and one behind, but I don't think I've ever seen anybody go in there.

The green itself is fairly straightforward.  There are some breaks, but there are no particularly significant features to warrant a mention.  Hopefully you've used the putting green beforehand, because they do keep these green very fast, considering this is a resort course.  Or maybe I just have trouble since I'm used to very slow greens at my home course.  Anyway, this is a very good opportunity to start your round off with a birdie, as long as you don't go right off the tee, this is an easy hole.

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Science Universe

My Twitter

1 comment:

  1. These photos are MUCH better! And I'm even in the first one -- down by the front tee.

    ReplyDelete