Friday, June 13, 2014

Carroll Valley Tour Part 5

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

Hole 5: 201 yards

The first of many 200 yard par 3's on this golf course, this hole actually feels like it plays a bit shorter than the yardage indicates. This is another very flat hole, and like the previous hole, it plays along the road, but it doesn't really come into play.  That doesn't stop me from thinking about the road every time I tee off here, but there really isn't anything to worry about.  The three bunkers are of a little more concern here.  If you want a place to miss, short and a little left leaves you a very easy chip shot.

Once again, there isn't anything particularly interesting about this green, other then that putts from above the hole are very quick.  However, this hole was the site for one of the most spectacular recovery shots I've ever hit.  A couple of years ago I hit a big pull-hook very close to the 6th tee.  My second shot was on a severe downslope, and there was a fairly significant tree directly in between my ball and the hole.  The sensible play would have been to try and punch one underneath, but I hate being sensible.  So, I took out my lob wedge and hit this gigantic flop shot that cleared this 30-40 foot tree that was only about 15 yards in front of me, and landed it on the green.  I still had a long putt, which I didn't make, but that pitch was something I'll remember for a very long time.

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Science Universe

My Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment