Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Carroll Valley Tour Part 4

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Hole 4: 584 yards

In an unusual coincidence, it turns out that both Waynesboro Municipal and Carroll Valley go from the third being the shortest hole on the course to the fourth hole being the longest.  This is a very long par 5, basically untouchable in two.  The tee shot is blind, as the hole starts going sharply downhill.  It doesn't look like there's very much room, but the hole does open up.  The road does run along the right, but there is a lot of room over there.  The bulk of the fairway is to the right.  However, there isn't as much room as you might think left of the fairway.  There are trees which are just dense enough to get in the way, and there is a native area about 30 yards right of the fairway.  I know this hole, I know there's a lot of room right, but I never fail to hit left.  I can't remember the last time I had an unimpeded second shot.

On most long par 5's I like to try and cover as much distance as possible with my second shot, but that's not really an option on this hole.  There is a stream cutting right across the fairway at about the distance a good 3 wood would land.  So, best play there is to try and get yourself about 100 yards away, or whatever distance you feel comfortable with. 

The third shot is a full wedge to a green with bunkers left and right.  Fortunately, this green is not particularly difficult to putt.  The hole is still one of the more difficult ones on the course.  If I can hit the green in regulation and two putt, I'm happy.

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Science Universe

My Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment