Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Carroll Valley Tour Part 12


Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10, Part 11

Hole 12: 545 yards

Playing here last weekend, I noticed this hole is actually pretty similar to the fourth hole.  It's a par 5 that plays downhill, with a stream in front of the green really discouraging you from being aggressive with your second.  Of course, there are some differences.  This hole isn't blind, and instead of a road to the right, the stream follows the hole on the right side for quite a long way.  The stream does come down far enough that it does factor into the drive, although strangely enough I've never had any issue with it off the tee.  Same for the bunker on the left, I don't think I've ever been in there either.  I get it close to the fairway most of the time, which is frankly kind of weird.  Of course, it sets me up to be very stupid on the second shot.

The hole is just short enough that two good shots will get to the green.  That second shot is a tough one though.  It'll be from a downhill lie to a green fronted closely by the stream (which is apparently called Toms Creek), so, it's exactly the kind of shot you want to get in the air, but the lie makes it almost impossible to do so.  That creek has eaten a lot of my golf balls, because I just can't resist pulling out the 3 wood and blasting away.  I hate laying up on par 5's.  There's a bit of open space to the right, and there's a little less carry on that side, so if you're going to miss, miss to the right.  I wish I could take my own advice here, but golf doesn't work like that, does it?

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Science Universe

My Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment