Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Carroll Valley Tour Part 17

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10, Part 11, Part 12, Part 13, Part 14, Part 15, Part 16

Hole 17: 555 yards

A long par 5 is not the sort of thing you want to see at the end of your round.  It feels like even more of a slog than usual.  The drive here plays slightly uphill to a wide open fairway.  There's a native area quite a ways left of the fairway, and there is out-of-bounds even farther away off to the right.  The O.B is especially out of the way, I've hit some pretty bad drives, and I've seen some pretty bad drives, and I've never seen one go out on the drive.  The ideal shot to hit off the tee is a little draw, which will roll a long way down the fairway, since it slopes off towards the left.

The native area and O.B continue down their respective sides for the second shots, and I wish I could tell you that they aren't in play on this shot, but I can't.  I've gone out on the second shot, and the native area gets pretty close on the left.  Still, the primary focus on the second is the big fairway bunker cutting in from the left side about 80 or 90 yards short of the green.  Obviously, you don't want to be in that bunker.  Laying up short of it is certainly an option, but if you do that, you can't see the green.  You could go to the right of it, which is probably the best option.  Or, you could be like me and go for the green.  This is a long hole, but the last 50 yards of fairway goes downhill, so if you manage to hit a draw over that fairway bunker, the green is reachable in two.  I haven't hit it, but the last time I played I was only a couple feet away. 

The green is actually fairly difficult.  You can actually have a putt that breaks more than a couple feet.  I actually kind of like this hole, even though a draw isn't really my shot shape.  I have fun trying, and when I do pull it off, it's very satisfying.  I kind of wish this was the last hole, not because I have anything against par 3 finishing holes, but the one here is kind of indifferent, and this is a much better hole.

My Other Blogs
Loose on the Internet
Science Universe

My Twitter




No comments:

Post a Comment